Am Dienstag, 27. Juni 2017, 16:00:13 CEST schrieb sare...@att.net:
Hmm, this should not happen. When you cannot login as root, so the following:

1. Start with a livefile system, like Knoppix, GRML; Trinity Rescue Kit,.
whatever.

2. Mount the root partition.

3. Now you can edit the "/etc/shadow" file on this partition. Look for the user
"root" and delete everything between the ":" and the "0". The entry should
look like "root::0:99999:7:::"

4. Reboot, now you should be able to enter as root without password.

(If I made a mistake here, someone might correct me, as I did this thing alt
last almost 4 years ago!)

The other option is, to search for a boot disk called "Kon-Boot". Booting from
this letts you in EVERY system (Windows, linux etc.) without password.

There is also the option (I never checked), to enter "#!/bin/bash" at the boot
prompt, this let you in a console with admin rights. Never checked this, too.
However, there are good documents of these in the web, but I was too lazy to
look for them. Google will help you.

Question, can you login as a normal user?

Can you sudo to root? (I am no friend of sudo, so I disabled this option. Does
stretch enable this by default?) If so, you will not be able to login as root
(as far as I know), but login as normal user, then "sudo su" and root password
will let you in.

Hope my (not proven) hints help either.

Happy hacking and good luck!

Kind regards