> From: oflam...@gmail.com
> To: Kaj Persson <70147pers...@telia.com>, debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Did you remember to reconfigure sudo? What Desktop Environment are you
> using?

He said Mate

> On Sat, 2017-07-08 at 23:57 +0200, Kaj Persson wrote:
>> But now I discovered an issue, I cannot manage my desktop. I have
>> always at the previous installations, and they are quite many now, been
>> advised to, for security reason, leave the root password unset, which causes
>> the root account go passive, and for all tasks where I need root
>> authority I go via su/sudo.

It is a bad idea despite of what security gurus may advise. You may lose your
system
and never get it back.

>> But I cannot control the panels, I have two of them, one on
>> top

A user should not need sudo rights to edit the conf files in the desktop.
It is all stored in the /home/*user* subdirectory, while as root your home
is /root. Chances are the access rights in your home directory have been
restricted, so you need to give yourself as a user the rights back.
As a su you should not be able to alter the /home/user directories.
What I suspect you've done is copy the /home from an old system
which transfered the rights of that system and from a different user.
Let's say in that system your username was mate99 and so it is in the
new system. But the user id in that system was user 1003 and now
you are user 1001. 1001 will not be able to adjust conf. files for user
1003. If you open the filemanager and your desktop folder is owned
by a user 1003 (or some number) then you need to switch the rights
of all your home/user stuff to be owned by mate99