Ok, guys.  I'm working on getting Debian 9.1 with Gnome DEfully
functional with a new laptop.  A couple of the issues have been
addressed already, and fixed.  The next issue is a missing HDMI output.

I'm running a very new HP Pavilion Power laptop (model number 15-
cb045wm with core i7-7700 CPU, Intel Kabylake HD Graphics GT2, and
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 GPU.  The laptop has an HDMI connector on the
side, and it works with Windows 10.  However, the HDMI display does not
show up under linux.  The HDMI output does show up under Pulseaudio,
though it appears to be non-functional, i.e., when I set the
configuration up for HDMI output, nothing comes out through the HDMI
connection.  I have no real idea how to troubleshoot this issue, and
suspect that this system may be new enough that the drivers have not
caught up with the chipset, and so I may be out of luck for a little
while.

I have searched the debian-user list archive and found nothing that
appeared to be useful.  Any information one of you Gurus might have
will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
--
73s de Mike, WB5VQX