On 2017-08-10, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.med...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> This makes no sense BTW. Unmuted everything? You're *recording*, so what
>> you want to do in alsamixer is to select your external usb audio card
>> (F6), display its capture device(s) (F5), and toggle on the input
>> channel of your choice (space bar).
>>
>> But I assume you have arrived at this crucial result in one way or another.
>

> I did.  Besides, the USB card does not even work with headphones: when
> headphones are plugged into it, no sound is heard from them.

Try making the USB audio dongle the first sound card (0).

I'm not certain how to do that.

Perhaps comment out the following line in '/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf':

 # Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing <sic> loaded as first soundcard
 options snd-usb-audio index=-2

--
"Until the Lion learns to write, tales of the hunt shall always glorify the
Hunter."