> From: d...@randomstring.org
> To: Doug <dmcgarr...@optonline.net>
> ju...@tutanota.com, debian-user@lists.debian.org
>
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 06:58:47PM -0500, Doug wrote:

>> > The basic difference is the number of bits recorded in a single
>> > cell, and that affects both the storage density and its
>> > long term reliability.
>> >
>> > More bits == more dense but less reliable.
>> >
>> > To compensate for long term reliability, SSD manufacturers use
>> > a variety of strategies involving staging data in RAM,
>> > compressing it, and implementing other special storage
>> > structures.
>> >
>> > On a removable-media flash device, none of those strategies
>> > are used.
>> >
>> > -dsr-
>> >
>> Perhaps I misunderstood. I thought you were referring to usb flash drives.
>> Do you mean these little chip gizmos that go into digital cameras?
>>
>> (Hope I am not being a nuisance.)
>
> What"s the difference between:
>
> - a USB "thumb drive"
> - a USB SSD
> - an SD, SDHC, SDXC "memory card"
> - a SATA SSD
> - an M.2 SSD
>
> They are all persistent data storage (i.e. doesn"t disappear
> when the power goes off) using a technology that stores
> electrons (or lack of electrons) in "cells". They differ in:
>
> - interface to your computer
> - strategies for reliability
> - speed and capacity
> - quality control
> - price

My earlier suspicion that when I see an 8gb, a 16gb, a 32gb, and a 64gb on the
rack looking the same
but stamped differently is most likely the same exact chip/s programmed for
density and reliability.
Hence in a model as the above you chose the least capacity for maximun
reliability.  It is very common
in the computer industry to manufacture one single piece of hardware and alter
firmware and packaging
to meet different market groups.  It is always cheaper than manufacturing 4
different things.
I also think processors are about the same, they program the speed down for
having cheaper, cooler,
less energy consuming, versions of the same superfast processor that gamers
will pay double for.