On 08/17/2017 10:50 AM, Bob Weber wrote:
On 8/17/17 1:06 PM, Gary Roach wrote:

Usually the qemu vm runs from a file (created by qemu-img) set up as a disk
drive by qemu.  I use Virtual Machine Manager (along with libvirtd) which can do
all the hard stuff for you.  I usually make my own virtual drive files with
qemu-img and let Virtual Machine Manager control access to them.  libvirtd does
a good job of letting you run qemu from your user account and access the
necessary resources on the host machine.  libvirtd sets up all the network
devices and bridges needed to access the real world. Virtual Machine Manager can
connect to USB devices on the host machine, manage CD drive access (either to
hardware cd drive or iso images ... like an install image), boot devices
(usually the sda drive or cd drive), the amount of memory for each vm and
additional drive you may want (like to try multi disk raid).   Virtual Machine
Manager opens up a vnc (or spice) window where you can see the output from the
vm when it is running on your kde desktop .. either text mode or graphical
mode.  I have about 15 vm's defined.  One runs debian with kde to handle my
weather station.  Another runs win 10 (ug) so I can do my taxes.  Most of the
others are debian and kde testing and unstable installs that I use to test
updates before I commit them to my host desktop machine.

Most debian installs work easily with a 20 or 20 GB virtual drive.  You create
the file necessary with a command like this:

qemu-img create -f qcow2 /home/img/Mymachine/drive.img 30G

This assumes that /home is mounted on your 1TB drive.  Looks like the packages
to get you started are libvirt-daemon-system and virt-manager.

Hope this helps.

...bob

Sorry bob but the debian 9 archives doesn't include libvirtd or anything equivalent. I have been trying to use virt-manager but have gotten a bit confused. The screen shot is attached. I have two hard drives. One is a 160 Gb boot drive called bootdisk and another empty 1 Tb drive called bigdisk. It looks like virt-manager picked the empty 1Tb drive and only allocated 20 Gb to the program. I hit the Volumes + but didn't see any way to add the boot drive. Are we talking about a virtual drive that is situated in the bigdisk. Is the guest OS situated in the bigdisk. If so, this is not a bad thing since I will probably have massive amounts of data produced. But I do need to figure out what I am dealing with.

Any help will be appreciated.

Gary R.