On Wed, 23 Aug 2017 08:22:37 +1000
"Stephen Grant Brown" <steve.brown_...@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Hi All,
> What is the best OCR package to use to scan the receipts given
> immediately after making a purchase? Yours Sincerely

If you mean general retail receipts, are you sure this is a practical
proposition?

I have to look closely at various receipts I get in order to decipher
dates and prices, often with the printed characters broken, and
sometimes made with a dodgy printer.

I keep a web-accessible database of 'important' receipts, but I just
scan them to greyscale PNG and manually type in the goods, date,
supplier and category. Even then, I sometimes have to tweak the scan
parameters to get a (human-)legible result.

I have seen a purpose-made business card scanner, which produced what I
thought were amazing results about ten years ago, particularly given the
infinite layout possibilities of cards. But it was seeing brand-new
cards, with high quality commercial printing, not some wrinkled scrap
of paper from an old thermal dot matrix printer, with the
'time-for-a-new-roll' red stripe down the middle.

Best of luck.

--
Joe