On Tuesday 19 September 2017 01:53:25 Tixy wrote:

> On Mon, 2017-09-18 at 17:49 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Monday 18 September 2017 11:39:26 Tixy wrote:
> > > On Mon, 2017-09-18 at 11:13 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > I don't know if this is useful, but the method I found for
> > > resetting a USB device was to unbind then rebind it with something
> > > like:
> > >
> > > echo '3-1.4' >/sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb/unbind
> > > echo '3-1.4' >/sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb/bind
> > >
> > > Where '3-1.4' is the endpoint name for the device found by looking
> > > in the kernel log. E.g. for this example I ran the 'dmesg' command
> > > and looked for my web camera and found these entries:
> > >
> > > usb 3-1.4: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-pci
> > > usb 3-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=2232, idProduct=1018
> > > usb 3-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2,
> > > SerialNumber=0 usb 3-1.4: Product: WebCam SC-13HDL11431N
> > >
> > > I don't know if this will help with your particular problem.
> >
> > Wheezy apparently isn't organized in quite that manner. So the best
> > I could do, even as root, was elicit no permissions messages.
>
> Strange, I'm using Jessie, but looks like unbinding has been supported
> in the kernel for over 10 years [1] so would expect a Wheezy kernel to
> support it, perhaps the path is different. Does a file at that path
> exist? For me I get
>
> #ls -l /sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb/unbind
> --w------- 1 root root 4096 Sep 19 06:28
> /sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb/unbind
>
> Actually, looking at that old article [1] the path is different
> (/sys/bus/usb/drivers/ub/) so perhaps you might try that, or any other
> likely path you may have under /sys/bus/usb/drivers/
>
> BTW, I'm sure you realised this, but to make it explicit, the magic
> string '3-1.4' in my example is specific to my machine and yours will
> be different depending on the USB hub/device topography.
>
> I have no experience with webcam problems so can't help with that
> specificly. (I use this USB driver unbind/bind trick to get an FTDI
> development module to toggle it's power enable output)
>
> [1] https://lwn.net/Articles/143397/

Its there, when the camera is, but all that is cleared out when the
camera has disappeared.

I have found it will reappear if unplugged, then plugged back in.  But it
probably will go away again. Along with all the stuff in its /sys path.

I went out to the shop and retrieved an older camera which isn't near as
fast or as accurate color. This one hasn't disappeared, yet, but the app
can be full screened and back to 1/4 screen by the size switch.  But the
video stream will die just like the other camera if I try to manually
adjust the apps window size.

So I have 2 problems. I may as well get another camera, but the ebay
people don't consider close focusing to be important or useful, and the
author needs to look at the code too.  Or playing mix and match between
pyvcp and gladevcp is being a problem. Each has its own capability's, or
lacks a needed capability.

In any event, I now know enough that I know I am asking the wrong list.

My thanks to all who tried to help.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)