Hi.

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 12:21:49PM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 07:10:10PM +0300, Reco wrote:
> > A common misconception. Here's how a determined userspace can beat
> > immutable bit:
> >
> > # mkdir testetc
> > # touch testetc/resolv.conf
> > # chattr +i testetc/resolv.conf
> > # mv testetc/ testetc.orig
> > # mkdir testetc
> > # touch testetc/resolv.conf
> > # echo evil dns > testetc/resolv.conf
>
> You'd have to replace all the other files in /etc as well, or the
> system wouldn't work very well.  But that's not the point.  The point
> isn't to harden the system against an attacker bent on subverting your
> name lookups.  It's to protect your locally modified configuration file
> from being overwritten by well-meaning but stupid software programs.

If the program misbehaves and it cannot be changed - why bother keeping
such program in your OS? I mean, it's Debian maillist, right? Everything
that's misbehaves can be fed to 'apt-get purge' and replaced with
something more sensible.

> (And yes, there are other ways to achieve that, but I've already posted
> the <https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/dhclient-etcresolvconf-hooks/> URL
> in this thread.  Oops, I did it again.)

An interesting link. It lacks my second favorite approach though (first
one being read-only root filesystem):

iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT -p udp ! -d <my_dns> --port 53 -j DNAT \
        --to-destination <my_dns>:53

iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT -p tcp ! -d <my_dns> --port 53 -j DNAT \
        --to-destination <my_dns>:53

ip6tables -A OUTPUT -p udp --dport 53 -j REJECT
ip6tables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 53 -j REJECT

Let them overwrite my resolv.conf with all kinds of gibberish, but it
will resolve the way *I* want it.

Reco