On Thu 05 Oct 2017 at 08:55:33 (-0400), Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 04, 2017 at 07:23:51PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > Well, thank you. But this doesn't explain the paragraph above my comment.
> > I'm just trying to understand the suggestions being made by more
> > experienced folk here, like Reco and Greg.
>
> My rationale is that having access to the Internet allows you to look up
> the answers to your problems, allows you to install missing software, etc.
> Being able to ping barney from fred on your LAN is pretty unimportant
> for most problem resolutions, compared to being able to ask Google "how
> do I set up NAT on Debian stretch", or whatever issue you're currently
> trying to solve.

I had assumed that the OP still had internet access from their other
machines.

> As far as /etc/hosts vs. setting up an internal DNS server, most home
> LANs are probably small enough that I would simply use /etc/hosts.
> Things may change if you live in a mansion with a staff, or you're the
> landlord for an apartment building, or something.  My cut-off point would
> probably be a dozen machines.  If there are more than a dozen machines,
> then I would consider setting up an internal DNS server for them.

I always think it odd that a router that issues hostnames and IP
addresses to hosts can't spit the same information out when given
a DNS query. But I've assumed that setting it up to do so would
involve no work; the work is in typing the information into the
DHCP pages.

So if you have a DNS-serving router, it would seem defeatest to
then have to maintain /etc/hosts files, and it just hides the
problem which, thankfully, has now been found.

Cheers,
David.