Roberto C. Sánchez <robe...@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 11:46:53PM +0200, Mart van de Wege wrote:
>> Roberto C. Sánchez <robe...@debian.org> writes:
>>
>> > Think about that for a minute.  The mere action of an interface (any
>> > interface on the system) obtaining a DHCP lease is sufficient to have
>> > dhclient think it needs to obliterate my manual networking configuration
>> > with settings from the DHCP server.
>>
>> Well, yes. That's what DHCP *does*.
>>
> The problem I have with it is that in my case there are other *static*
> interfaces on the system and DHCP's assumption that it is operating in a
> vacuum is terribly annoying.

You are not. Hence resolvconf. And yes, having to muck about with
dhclient settings or resolvconf when you have a mixed dynamic/static
setup can be aggravating.

> I cannot be the only person who has encountered this particular issue
> with these circumstances and been frustrated by how difficult it is
> to, 1) find out what exactly is happening,

Actually my first thought was 'hmm, sounds like a DHCP client is
running".

> and 2) make it stop.

I remember how much time it took me to get used to resolvconf +
NetworkManager + dnsmasq on my laptop, to convince that combo to always
use my internal DNS servers so that my Kerberos realm would keep working
over VPN.

Mart

--- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.