On 2017-11-28 at 10:34, Michael Stone wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 10:28:57AM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> I've run across someone who says her machine is running Debian
>> oldoldoldstable or maybe even oldoldoldoldstable, and who
>> consequently can't upgrade to newer Debian.
>
> It's easier to say the code name than oldoldoldoldodlodlsdosdld.

Yeah, but I don't remember offhand which release had which codename, and
I couldn't be arsed to look it up when I had a name that would work just
as well. (Which happened to be the one she told it to me as.)

>> I seem to recall that there *is* a way to do step-wise upgrades of
>> such old systems, i.e. upgrading from oldoldoldoldstable to
>> oldoldoldstable, then to oldoldstable, then to oldstable, then to
>> stable. However, I'm stumped as to how to actually get started on
>> doing that.
>
> The order of the releases is documented at
> https://www.debian.org/releases/
>
> Basically, adjust the sources.list to point to each one in oder, and
> do the upgrades. Check the release notes for each upgrade to see if
> special steps are necessary.

That's the basic procedure for stepwise upgrades in general. It only
works when there's an available repository to point to, however, which
I thought was not the case for anything prior to oldoldstable.

>> The last few steps of this are straightforward; oldoldstable is
>> still available in the repos, as far as I'm aware. The first ones
>> are more of a problem; if I understand matters correctly, anything
>> prior to oldoldstable is removed from the live repos, although its
>> .deb files are still maintained on e.g. snapshot.debian.org. (Which
>> doesn't really suffice for the equivalent of a dist-upgrade,
>> because you'd have to manually download all the correct .debs by
>> hand and then install them with dpkg.)
>
> Use archive.debian.org instead of ftp.debian.org or whatever for very
> old releases.

Hm. I'd forgotten about that being available, if I'd ever known about it.

I'll pass that information on; thank you!

--
   The Wanderer