Hi Boudewijn,

this is getting a bit old, but I recently moved to Debian Stretch, and gave
a little more time to this problem. I noticed that udev raises an error saying
"... was not an MTP device", and after some search on the net I managed to make
VueScan work by adding a specific udev rule :

root@debian:~# cat /etc/udev/rules.d/69-FS4000US-MTP.rules
ATTR{idVendor}=="04a9", ATTR{idProduct}=="3042", SYMLINK+="libmtp-%k",
MODE="660", GROUP="scanner", ENV{ID_MTP_DEVICE}="1", ENV{ID_MEDIA_PLAYER}="1",
TAG+="uaccess"
root@debian:~#

Just in case it would help.
Best regards,