On 24 January 2018 at 14:15, Michael Fothergill <
michael.fotherg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 24 January 2018 at 14:11, Vincent Lefevre <vinc...@vinc17.net> wrote:

>> version of
>> retpoline.

>> gcc-7

>> > Unless I interpret the changelog wrong: yes.

​I have found a kernel image file here:

​https://packages.debian.org/experimental/linux-image-4.15.0-rc8-amd64

I think this will likely work OK with KPTI and retpoline.

It's in debian experimental.

If you can be sid and experimental together then I guess you can have gcc
7.3 rc1 or 2 (or whatever it is) installed and then
install the image as a kernel upgrade not a kernel compilation:

Something like this:

 # cat >> /etc/apt/preferences << EOF Package: * Pin: release
o=Debian,a=experimental Pin-Priority: 102 EOF # apt-cache policy   #
shows/verifies the current preferences # echo "deb
http://deb.debian.org/debian experimental main" >>
/etc/apt/sources.list # apt-get update # apt-get -t experimental
install linux-image-3.10-rc5-686-pae

Except here you would do:

# apt-get -t experimental install linux-image-4.15.0-rc8-amd64

Then I would have thought KPTI and retpoline would be installed in a
relatively painless way if you don't mind running as sid.

Cheers

MF