On 25 January 2018 at 20:33, Greg Wooledge <wool...@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 08:14:24PM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> > root@mikef-PC:/usr/src# tar -xf linux-4.14.15.tar.xz
> >
> > Can anyone think of a command that will let me know where the files
> > went/confirm it ran properly?
>
> Use "tar -xvf ..." to get verbose output (filenames) during the extraction.

​Many thanks,  I did this and then realised that the creation date of Jan
23rd for the linux 4.14.15 directory created is for this kernel - that is
the date given for it being made on the kernel.org site.

I now what planet I am on here with this.

A trap here was that I already have a kernel installed which is 4.14.15 rc8
so I could have ​mistaken it for that so it was not as simple as looking
for a file with 4.14.15 in it etc in /usr/src etc.

It's OK.

I will try copying the config file from the 4.14.15rc8 kernel (where ever
that might live - I am going to have to learn to find them by sense of
smell) and use it for the compilation.

Cheers

MF