On 06.02.18 19:16, Richard Hector wrote:
> On 06/02/18 18:38, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> > Perl is the quintessential write-only language, which with a bit of luck
> > will die out before it catches on
>
> Now you're getting to fighting talk ... :-)

Whoops, forgot the <$0.02> ... </$0.02> markers.
But planning to replace a formal BNF grammar with perl/python/ruby/...
spaghetti would be a most dubious design strategy, IME.

Around 23 years ago, I bought three O'reilly perl books - the cookbook,
the nutshell, and another one, but couldn't stand the language, despite
the investment. Never had that trouble with awk, sed, lex, yacc/bison,
bash, expect, C, makefiles, ld linker scripts, assembler for half a
dozen targets, postscript, ...

Erik

--
Once, adv.: