On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 02:04:12AM +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:

> Ups, I've totaly missed that Marc said 'apcupsd'. In this case here are
> my deep appologies to Marc and everybody Being over busy last couple of
> days I was quite hasty in this case. Sorry.

No problem. I certainly was not offended. It was an honest mistake.

> BTW. about apcupsd-cgi. I found that in order to use it I need to install
> appache2. I never needed to run a server on my home desktop before.
> Wouldn't it be a little overkill to install appache server only to use
> apcupsd web interface?

The dependency is 'apache2 | httpd', so you can use just about any web
server since they all support CGI. You might find lighttpd simpler than
apache2.

> I'm realy not sure I want to spend a lot of time on securing and then
> maintaning the server. However I'm not realy familiar with the matter. Is
> it over complicated or I'd rather use CLI to control apcuspd daemon?

That is a choice you have to make. If you run a firewall on your machine
and you do not expose the ports (3551 for apcupsd and 80 for httpd),
then there is no real concern. That said, if you do not want to worry
about a webserver, you can probably script something that retrieves that
data from the apcupsd process on port 3551. It should not require very
much effort at all.

Regards,

-Roberto

--