On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 09:48:57AM +0100, Ionel Mugurel Ciobîcă wrote:
> # cat roman | msort -q -w -l -y ROMAN
> II
> III
> IV
> IX
> VI
> VII
> VIII
> XI
> XII

> Did I miss anything?

Well, this program certainly is ... unusual.  Doesn't just *work* by
default.  No examples in the man page.  Anyway, it looks like you
forgot to specify numeric comparison.

wooledg:~$ printf %s\\n III IX IV V X VII VI VIII | msort -q -w -l -c N -y any
III
IV
VI
VII
VIII
IX

Here's what I mean by "doesn't just work by default":

wooledg:~$ printf %s\\n III IX IV V X VII VI VIII | msort -c N -y any
Comparison type specified without previous key selector (-e, -n, -t, or -w).

What, you don't just read lines by default?  And you don't take standard
sort(1)'s -k key specifier.  OK, fine, here's a -w for you:

wooledg:~$ printf %s\\n III IX IV V X VII VI VIII | msort -w -c N -y any
Sorting on whole record.
Increasing numeric string
Reading from stdin.
Records processed:                          0
There's no point in sorting fewer than two records.                            0

Lolwut?  Who came up with this user interface?  Do you even read standard
input by default?  No "standard" in the man page.  No "stdin" in the man
page.  No examples in the man page.  No default behavior that works.  OK,
I guess it does say "Reading from stdin" in that error output, but why
didn't you say that in the manual?  Jeez.

I ended up googling "msort example" which was only slightly helpful.