On 03/15/2018 11:45 AM, Curt wrote:
On 2018-03-14, Richard Owlett <rowl...@cloud85.net> wrote:

Is there a way?
[for current application creating a new icon will be simple]
[finding the old icon would be convenient]

It seems right-clicking on the desktop and selecting “Change
Desktop Background”, then “Customize,” then "Icons," will reveal a list
of all the icons installed on the system.

But I'm using the MATE desktop.
Right-clicking on the desktop and selecting “Change Desktop Background” allows me to chose between "Theme", "Background", "Fonts", and "Interface". Under "Theme->Customize" there is an option to chose a preferred family for most [NOT ALL] applications installed from the Debian repository. It has no effect on some applications [e.g. basic256] and on any custom launchers or shortcuts.

In fact this is likely the source of my confusion as for several Debian repository packages I disliked the default icon. Clicking on the icon displayed in the launcher's property tab takes you directly to the folder containing the icon.

And yes, this is the Internet so you're supposed to tailor your
questions to our answers rather than the reverse, as someone pointedly
pointed out in the "pointers" thread (after having changed the point).

<*ROFL*> I frequently am able to side-step that choosing where to post which questions and format the questions in a way that will will prompt ON-TOPIC replies ;/