Hi,

I went through the below link:

https://wiki.debian.org/EnvironmentVariables

While it was very informative, it was not evident from it that what
the standard or preferred place is for setting an environment variable
if I want it to be available from both graphical applications as well as
from terminal (bash).

I would prefer to set it at a single location. And also I would prefer
not to change a bunch of other files so that one file where I am setting
the variables gets called from other places.

Also, since the environmental variable is going to be user specific, it
should be under the user's home.

Any pointer in the right direction is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Subhadip