On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 06:23:57AM -0400, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:

> On 04/21/2018 04:22 PM, Roberto C. S�nchez wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 21, 2018 at 12:46:37PM -0400, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> > > I have installed a GUI for some of my modeling programs
> > > (http://www.quimica.urv.cat/~pujadas/BDT) on my Debian Stretch platform.
> > >
> > > While there were no warning or error messages during the installation
> > > when I
> > > attempt execution I get the following:
> > >
> > > comp@AbNormal:~/Apps/BDT$ ./bdt
> > > /usr/local/gromacs/lib:/opt/mopac
> > > ./bdt.exec: error while loading shared libraries: libtcl8.4.so.0: cannot
> > > open shared object file: No such file or directory
> > > comp@AbNormal:~/Apps/BDT$
> > >
> > > The supposedly missing file is in /home/comp/Apps/BDT/tools/tcl-tk8.4/lib.
> > > How do I go about solving this problem?
> > >
> > I'll bet that bdt is a shell script and it does some trickery with
> > setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Can you post the contents of bdt (assuming it
> > is a shell script and not too long)? Further, I suspect that bdt.exec is
> > the actual binary. If that is the case, can you post the output of
> > `ldd ./bdt.exec`?
> >
> > Since tcl8.4 was last available in jessie [0], you most likely have an
> > incomplete application distribution. Or it depends on you installing
> > tcl8.4 from system packages and you will need to grab a jessie package
> > and install it on your system, or possibly rebuild it (in case the
> > dependencies don't work out exactly correct).
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > -Roberto
> >
> > [0]
> > https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=jessie&searchon=contents&keywords=libtcl8.4.so.0
> >
> Thanks for your reply.  The file is:
>
>  #!/bin/sh
>
> BDT=$PWD
> export BDT
> TOOLS=$BDT/tools
> PATH=$BDT:$TOOLS:$PATH
>
> if [ `whereis wish | wc -w` -eq 1 ]
> then
>     echo "You do not have TCL-TK installed"
>     echo "The BDT-installation of TCL-TK will be used"
>
>     TCLTK=$TOOLS/tcl-tk8.4
>
>     PATH=$TCLTK:$PATH
>
>     # FOR general UNIX
>     LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$TCLTK:$TCLTK/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>     export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>     # FOR tcl-tk libraries
>     TCL_LIBRARY=$TCLTK/lib/tcl8.4
>     TK_LIBRARY=$TCLTK/lib/tk8.4
>     export TCL_LIBRARY TK_LIBRARY
> fi
> echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
> #./bdt.tcl
> ./bdt.exec

It appears that my supposition was correct. You will need to find a way
to obtain, build, or install tcl8.4 for your system. Aside from the
possibilities I mentioned in my initial reply, you could set up a jessie
chroot, which would have tcl8.4 available as a standard package, and run
your application from within that.

Regards,

-Roberto
--