On Thursday, April 26, 2018 01:29:17 AM to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 10:05:41PM -0500, David Wright wrote:

> > Yes, the message came from tomas, but the email you received came from
> > the list server. There will be a header at the top of your email
>
> > that's being hidden from you:
> Right. There's a "From" field at the very top, without a colon. In David's
> message I'm responding to right now, I see:
>
>   From bounce-debian-user=tomas=tuxteam...@lists.debian.org Thu Apr 26
> 05:06:37 2018
>
> right at the top of the headers. This is added by your receiving
> MTA and is thus *the* one piece of information which is most
> reliable -- it's yout MTA's account of where (it thinks) the mail
> has come from. There are (in my case) a couple of other headers
> (at the top, too) added by my MTA.

I'm not trying to argue, but instead trying to check what I thought was my
knowledge:

AFAIK, that From header is what I call the mbox header--it is added in . for
the mbox style of mail storage (many emails in one folder) and is used to
separate emails).

Two things:
'
   * in the other type of email storage (maildir--one email per file), I
suspect that header is not added

   * I suspect that not all email clients put the same thing (the perceived
sender address) in that second field (between "From " and the date).

If anyone can speak to those points, I'd be interested.