On Thu 26 Apr 2018 at 15:43:32 (-0400), Henning Follmann wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 08:02:38PM +0200, deloptes wrote:
> > Henning Follmann wrote:
> >
> > > Happy to read the man page to you buddy.
> > >

> > > -H
> >
> > while I can understand your feeling quite well, I had to teach myself either
> > to ignore affecting questions or to answer for the sake of the answer.
> >
> > sometimes it is really frustrating how one can not understand obvious
> > things, however not all are same age, have same background or level of
> > intelligence.
> >
> > its better you give example in such case
> >
> > debootstrap [OPTION...]  stable /mypath/to/target/installation file:///DVD1
> >
> > this is how I understand it, correct if I'm wrong
> >

> I am no expert on the install ISO images but if I understand correctly
> there is a "debian" directory on it. So I guess:
> debootstrap [OPTION...]  stable /mypath/to/target/installation
> file:///DVD1/debian
>
> however just hope that the current DVD is also "stable"

I haven't used a full CD/DVD for years, only netinst, so I'm reduced
to guessing like everyone else here. My guess is a simple file:///media/cdrom0/

If the usual link is there, then file:///media/cdrom/ would be as good.

Justifications:

 netinst has top level directories like .disk/, dists/ and pool/, and a
 README.html file which corresponds to what's outlined at the start of
 https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/

 The build log for the 14 disk set at
 https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/log/20180310/
 contains lines like these three:
  libisofs: WARNING : Cannot add /debian to Joliet tree. Symlinks can only be
added to a Rock Ridge tree.
  libisofs: WARNING : Cannot add /dists/stable to Joliet tree. Symlinks can
only be added to a Rock Ridge tree.
  libisofs: WARNING : File
"/pool/main/g/golang-github-shurcool-sanitized-anchor-name/golang-github-shurcool-sanitized-anchor-name-dev_0.0~git20160918.0.1dba4b3-1_all.deb"
 can't be added to Joliet tree, because its path length is larger than 240
 which imply that pool is top-level, and that debian is a symlink
 which would almost certainly point to ./ and likewise dists/stable
 would point to dists/stretch (but netinst doesn't bother with these
 symlinks).

Cheers,
David.