--
Boyan Penkov
www.boyanpenkov.com

> On May 4, 2018, at 17:19, Francisco M Neto <fmn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
>       I had a similar problem when I upgraded from Stretch (4.9) to
> Buster (4.15). The nvidia driver stopped working but after reinstalling
> it started to work again, supposedly because it needed to rebuild the
> kernel module with headers from the new kernel. Maybe you're having a
> similar issue?

I don’t think so, as the experiment matrix I tried above involved rebuilding
the module using the correct headers every time.

Updating sources to buster and pulling in kernel-image, kernel-headers, then
restarting to 4.16 to recovery mode, uninstalling nvidia-driver and then
reinstalling the nvidia-driver package seems to have worked…. However, this
cannot be the orthodox approach to solve this…..

>       Which nvidia card are you using?

GTX 560 Ti, which is Fermi, which is indeed old — wikipedia says it’s going to
legacy after 390 — is that where I may be getting in trouble?  Should I try
nvidia-legacy in debian?