On Sat, 19 May 2018 09:16:43 -0500 ntrfug sent:

> More than 20 years ago I began saving personal files to a different
> partition than the OS.
>
> I've used this system for Windows (when I started) and for more
> flavors of Linux than I can remember. I did this so I could wipe the
> root partition and reinstall without destroying my personal files.
>
> I call it "files" and mount it on /home/ntrfug/Documents at boot.

<snip>

        After contemplation, my reply is:

I thought that's what everyone did?

Have a root, a home, a usr, a var, a tmp, graphics, etc etc.. partition.

If ever there is a problem with the O/S and in the event it needs
reinstallation. Install what O/S is desired and allow all the other
partitions to be used, but not formatted.

I must admit I thought this was the norm, even with windows?

Though I did read somewhere that if there is a separate /usr partition
that some things, with systemd, like my backlight on the monitor
receives an error message, which mine does?

Once the O/S is installed with all that is used, the configuration
files from home just kick in automagically? Or so it has been for
myself.

Charlie
--
        Registered Linux User:- 329524

        A free society is a place where it is safe to be unpopular.
        --Adlai Stevenson

        Debian GNU/Linux - Magic indeed.