On Fri, 6 Jul 2018 15:47:37 -0500
Richard Owlett <rowl...@cloud85.net> wrote:

> separate /home directory. Short answer -- no.
>
> I abandoned WinXP when Jessie had become stable.
> The installer defaults {I assume for cause} to putting every thing on
> one partition/directory.
>
> Where may I read about pros/cons ?
> TIA

The home directory contains not only "personal data" but configuration
directories for all your apps.

I long ago settled on a middle-of-the-road solution--I have a partition
mounted on /home/ntrfug/files which contains all my "data" such as
email, photos, documents, non-distribution software, bank statements,
etc. I've been doing this for ~20 years and I still like it. I can
reinstall nuking the home directory to take advantage of updated
configurations but still keep my word processing documents, email, and
general umm, stuff.