> > that's what should be relevant here.  Having libgnutls-deb0-28 installed
> > (or not installed) should not matter at all.
>
> Well as I highlighted in another email above in this thread, when I
> try to remove it, it wants to rip out over 100 packages and over 500
> MiB's of Debian software.

(Such as...?)

It really sounds like you've got a half-jessie, half-stretch system
for some reason.  Maybe you never fully upgraded to stretch, or maybe
you've got a whole bunch of unusual packages that were installed during
your jessie days, that were removed from stretch, or came from third
party sources.

What happens if you do "apt-get install git" now?

Also, can you show us the output of:

apt-cache policy git libgnutls30 libgnutls-deb0-28