On 2018-07-15, Octopus Octopus <oct2...@jade.moe> wrote:

> which thunderbird produces
>
>     /usr/bin/thunderbird
>
> launching it through the terminal does not alter the results.
> *I have disabled all addons and seems to have solved the problem. *I
> might go through some further testing to see if it relates to
> xul-ext-google-tasks-sync or xul-ext-firetray since those are both
> addons from the repos I'm currently using (this problem occurred in both
> and stretch to buster). However Reenabling all addons seems to not have
> reproduced the issue. I believe it might be caused by Provider for
> Google Calendar but I don't believe I got it from the debian repos (or
> that its even there).

I've heard that firetray doesn't close windows by default but rather
hides them in the systray, which means they can restored in the context
menu of the systray icon, but equally signifies they reappear when
Thunderbird is restarted. To alter that behavior right-click the icon,
select preferences, and unclick 'Closing window hides to systray', or
alternatively 'Only last window can be hidden'.