On 19/07/18 12:19 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:
This isn't absolutely awful; you can recover from this.

Here is the list of downgrades if I pin stable to 1001:

required:
   fonts-stix libevent-2.1-6 libhunspell-1.6-0 libjsoncpp1 libvpx5
python-automat python-hyperlink
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
   firefox
   python-twisted-web
The following packages will be DOWNGRADED:
   deluge deluge-common deluge-console deluge-gtk deluge-web deluged
fontconfig-config libbluray1 libboost-chrono1.62.0 libboost-python1.62.0
libboost-random1.62.0 libfontconfig1
   libfontconfig1:i386 libnss3 libnss3:i386 libtorrent-rasterbar9 python-attr
python-click python-libtorrent python-serial python-twisted-bin
python-twisted-core python-zope.interface
   rtmpdump yasm
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 25 downgraded, 1 to remove and 0 not
upgraded.

It shows the same 25 packages as the list of "newer" above, but I don't like
that it wants to remove firefox. I have version 58.0.1 installed, and to be
honest I can't figure out where this version came from. I do have some
backports installed but that's not where firefox came from:

# dpkg-query -W | grep '~bpo'
libcec3v4:amd64 3.1.0+dfsg1-4~bpo8+2
libcrossguid0v4:amd64   0.0+git200150803-2~bpo8+1
libmysqlclient18:i386   5.6.30-1~bpo8+1
libp8-platform2v4:amd64 2.0.1+dfsg1-1~bpo8+1
libx265-79:amd64        1.9-3~bpo8+1
remmina 1.2.0-rcgit.24-2~bpo9+1
remmina-common  1.2.0-rcgit.24-2~bpo9+1
remmina-plugin-rdp:amd64        1.2.0-rcgit.24-2~bpo9+1
remmina-plugin-vnc:amd64        1.2.0-rcgit.24-2~bpo9+1

My question is: If I just leave it be, won't the packages eventually be
upgraded from stable as the stable versions become newer than the unstable
packages that I currently have installed? Or might I hit some dependency
problems along the way? Should I instead do the downgrades now by pinning
stable to priority 1001 (with I'm guessing is a one-time thing to do, and
then remove the pinning)?
I would do the downgrades. Then do an "apt-get clean", and after that,
re-install firefox-esr. If you want an up-to-date firefox,
install it directly from Mozilla in /opt/firefox.

When you have a limited requirement for unstable or testing
packages, you can use pinning to get just those packages and
their dependencies. That's much more manageable than just
blasting off in the direction of unstable.

Dan, thank-you so much for your reply.

I've been running Debian since maybe mid 1995, well before Bruce released Buzz. That doesn't make me smart, just old.  ;-)  This is the first time in all these years that I felt I needed mixed packages.

I certainly don't think I "blasted off in the direction of unstable". My stance was that I had "a limited requirement for unstable", and thought that's what I did. If you don't mind, here's what I did for your insight in case I could have done better. Because I had never mixed packages or used pinning, I was and still am a bit vague about it.

With unstable in my sources.list, and the following preferences file, I installed only deluge using "apt-get -t unstable install deluge", or maybe the deluge/unstable format. I may have grabbed another one or two library packages in desperation, but I think the rest were dragged in as dependencies.

Package: *
Pin: release  a=stretch
Pin-Priority: 700

Package: *