On 08/10/2018 08:58 AM, The Wanderer wrote:
On 2018-08-10 at 08:29, Rich Kulawiec wrote:

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 11:46:12AM -0000, Dan Purgert wrote:

Not familiar with procmail.  A quick perusal of the manpage seems
to indicate this is a local mail "processor" for sorting things, as
opposed to say something on the mailserver itself?

Correct.  Procmail uses a set of rules to decide what to go with messages
presented to it; those rules are usually based on the contents of message
headers, but don't have to be.  For example, for this mailing list:

        :0:
         /home/rsk/linux/debian-user

Translating, this means that any message which has the specified header
will be appended to the file named in the last line.  (It would be nice
if the debian lists complied with RFC 2919 by using List-Id, but at least
this header works and is consistent throughout.)

Hm? The Debian mailing lists I'm on *do* have List-Id; that's how I
filter them into folders on my end, although I do it via Thunderbird's
built-in filtering mechanism rather than via procmail.

I use Thunderbird as well. Only I have set up a separate email account special for getting mail list messages, ads, etc. What I do then is set that account up to use collapsable threads. I delete all threads I don't think I'd be interested in and then keep the threads I think I want to read. I'm only on a couple Debian lists though (Security announcements being one, and this one and I think News). This Users one has the most activity but it really isn't too much trouble for me.

I also set up my email check to once every 720 minutes (12 hours). This way I'm not getting popups every 10 minutes that there's new messages while I'm trying to work or watch a tutorial video full screen or something.