----- Original Message -----
From: "Bijan Soleymani" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2003 16:29
Subject: Re: I'm face Few problem , need suggestion

> "Monique Y. Herman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I don't have a problem with the installer.  I'd rather have devs working
> > on other stuff than on something that works (for me).
>
> The installer also works for me, at least most of the time. But it
> would be nice if relative newbies could install Debian on their own.
>
> > Many people, including me, would not recommend debian for a linux
> > novice, though there are debian-based distros that some might recommend.
>
> It would be nice if we could recommend Debian for novices. I was a
> novice when I started using Debian, almost died trying :) I like it
> now, but it would be nice if new users didn't have to go through all
> those problems.
>
> > But I don't really see this as a problem.  There are different distros
> > for different needs, and debian is designed for the needs of an
> > experienced linux user.
>
> If that is the case we should at least be honest. They should post in
> big bold letters on www.debian.org:
>
>     "This Operating System is not for general users it is only for
>      experienced linux users. If you have never used Linux before
>      please go to www.redhat.org or www.mandrake.org or
>      www.knoppix.org."
>
> I'm kind of in the pro-knoppix camp. I think that debian could
> incorporate certain features from knoppix. The experts could always
> disable the hardware detection, etc. But it would be very useful for
> beginners.
>
> Bijan
Amen:
I am one of the newbies and the Operating System would not have stopped me.
I installed woody and that stopped me.  There is no reason other than
wanting to keep the system private for such a difficult installation.  I
finally installed libernet,  the koppix site was on the patent flap, it
worked but interestingly the source is debian.org for downloading programs.
There are still problems but it is much better than Redhat and Caldera which
wouldnt work for me and windows is too unstable to be reliable.  Linux is
versital enough to apply to everyone who wants to use it.  Somehow I thought
that was the reason GNU was developed.
Hoyt