On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 3:47 AM, Zenaan Harkness <zen...@freedbms.net> wrote:
> Another correction below:
>
>> BTRFS also makes it extremely easy to expand an array if you add more
>> disks, WITHOUT mucking around with LVM and md-raid. Just a simple
>> command (something that ZFS cannot easily do at this time)
>>
>> btrfs device add /dev/sdX /path/to/array
>> btrfs filesystem balance /path/to/array
>
>   “as simple as zpool add <pool name> <dev name>”
>
> >From here:
>   http://list.zfsonlinux.org/pipermail/zfs-discuss/2018-August/031938.html
>
> Note that ZoL does not yet auto-rebalance (although there is at least
> one script around to do it manually - copying files - and rebalance
> can also be done manually with: zfs send ...; zfs receive ...

I thought the problem was that you can't actually mix-and-match block
devices of different sizes easily in ZFS, you need to plan ahead. I
don't know the details because I've never used ZFS, but when I read
about it I see a lot of warnings about striping and vdevs and whatnot.

With btrfs you can just throw any block devices together and it will
automatically use whatever it can, restricted to the level of
redundancy you requested.