On 08/19/2018 12:40 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
Greetings all;

I just installed stretch to a fresh 2T HD. letting it autopartition and
format for separate /, swap, /var and /home partitions. But I didn't let
it overwrite the grub on the 1st drive it was/is  booting wheezy from.

I figured I'd mount it to wheezy and copy over my personal stuff, like an
email corpus well over 15GB reaching back to 2002.

But I can't mount much of the drive, / is all that will actually mount,
because the 2 versions of ext4 are incompatible, nearly all the mount
and e2tools can't touch the installers ext4 file systems.

For instance, its not mounted:
gene@coyote:~$ e2fsck /dev/sdb8
e2fsck 1.42.5 (29-Jul-2012)
/dev/sdb8 has unsupported feature(s): metadata_csum
e2fsck: Get a newer version of e2fsck!

And of course whats installed to wheezy is the latest available wheezy
version of e2fsck.

Whats the recommended way to do these mounts so I can maintain as much
continuity as possible?

Thanks all.

Hi Gene, I've seen this before, a few times. If you run #fdisk -l while in stretch and get error, you need to fix that first, using gparted move the ailing partition '1'byte, just one digit larger or smaller, if you have to shrink another partition, do it '2'bytes. UUID will not change and it will pass fdisk -l no error. Now in wheezy see if you can mount. If not you can disable the checksums. To disable checksums on an existing filesystem, ensure that the filesystem will pass fsck. Then turn off metadata_csum via tune2fs.
     #tune2fs -O ^metadata_csum /dev/path/to/disk

The above is for ext4, for repairing partition I use this with force.
         #fsck.ext4 -pvcf /dev/sdxx
--
Jimmy Johnson

Devuan Jessie - KDE 4.14.2 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda2
Registered Linux User #380263