at bottom :-

On 21/08/2018, Reco <recovery...@gmail.com> wrote:
>       Hi.
>
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 11:26:53PM +0530, shirish शिरीष wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Please CC me as I'm not following the list per-se (due to traffic
>> constraints and just inability to manage information flow.)
>>
>> Does anybody know why unrar-free is till in Debian repo. when we have
>> unar which does the same or more (support for rarv5 among others) . I
>> do get the idea that we should have alternatives for any application
>> or is there something more that I don't know ?
>
> It's more likely that you've been lucky and haven't met multipart solid
> password-protected RAR5 archives. unar cannot chew on these.
> bsdtar (which has some RAR support) cannot even do 'solid' part of
> previous statement.
> So, it's sad, gross, but unrar-nonfree stays in non-free for all those
> cornercases.
>
> Reco

Dear Reco and all,

Except for Michael it seems nobody understood the question I was asking.

There is unrar-free and unrar, both are different  packages  -

$ apt-cache policy unrar-free
unrar-free:
  Installed: 1:0.0.1+cvs20140707-4
  Candidate: 1:0.0.1+cvs20140707-4
  Version table:
 *** 1:0.0.1+cvs20140707-4 500
        500 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 Packages
        100 http://deb.debian.org/debian unstable/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

$ apt-cache policy unrar
unrar:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1:5.5.8-1
  Version table:
     1:5.5.8-1 500
        500 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster/non-free amd64 Packages
        100 http://deb.debian.org/debian unstable/non-free amd64 Packages

There is also package unar which is a different  package altogether -

$ apt-cache policy unar
unar:
  Installed: 1.10.1-2+b2
  Candidate: 1.10.1-2+b2
  Version table:
 *** 1.10.1-2+b2 500
        500 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 Packages
        100 http://deb.debian.org/debian unstable/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

See the different  version numbers and either $aptitude show
$PACKAGENAME or tracker.debian.org/$PACKAGENAME to show the
differences.

My query is/was a more simpler one.

The last commit to unrar-free was done in 2004 and that 's about  it .
You can find the commits in /usr/share/doc/unrar-free/changelog.gz

The homepage given doesn't  exist more https://gna.org/projects/unrar/
and the only kind thing about  the package repo. is somebody made a
mirror on github for posterity purposes when the original URL was shut
 down.

https://github.com/Lesik/unrar-free

also see http://www.unrarlib.org/ for some documentation from that time.

So the question is, are there any corner cases where unrar-free excels
unar and if not  can or should it  be removed from the Debian repo. ?

The question has nothing to do with unrar which is non-free but only
asks about packages in Main repo.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल