Thanks once more for the support!  The problem is now solved.

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 10:20 AM David Wright <deb...@lionunicorn.co.uk>
wrote:

> On Tue 28 Aug 2018 at 09:48:06 (-0400), Luis Finotti wrote:
>
> > # dpkg -P sendmail-base
> > (Reading database ... 1562548 files and directories currently installed.)
> > Removing sendmail-base (8.15.2-11) ...
> > update-inetd: error: --group is only relevant with --add
> > dpkg: error processing package sendmail-base (--purge):
> >  installed sendmail-base package pre-removal script subprocess returned
> > error exit status 255
> > Errors were encountered while processing:
> >  sendmail-base
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> I would take a look at the pre-removal script sendmail-base.prerm to
> see what it's trying to do. If there are parts that aren't sensible,
> you could comment them out, alter things so that they can work, or
> even just make them "succeed" with "|| true" so you get to the end
> of the script. (Check sendmail-base.postinst while you're about it.)
>
> The scripts will contain a record of what modifications they intended
> to make to your system, so ultimately all you need to do is nullify
> those changes, remove the files in sendmail-base.list and convince
> dpkg that the package is purged. Manually if necessary.

Thanks for the pointer!   sendmail-base.prerm had the line:

update-inetd --group MAIL --disable smtp,smtps,submission;

and I was getting the error

update-inetd: error: --group is only relevant with --add

So, I changed it to:

update-inetd --disable smtp,smtps,submission;

and was then able to uninstall it.

Thanks again for your help.