On Thu, Nov 01, 2018 at 04:51:59PM -0400, John Cunningham wrote:
I'm trying to set up a laptop that users can use for remote access to a
Windows Active Directory Domain, and would appreciate some guidance in the
right direction.  It looks pretty straightforward to get a Debian computer
to authenticate with AD.  But I can't get my head around the remote access
part.  In order to connect they would have to log in, and then connect via
our VPN.  But if they need to authenticate with AD, how do they log in?
Even windows isn't great with this, and it's their screwy system. If a new
user just grabs a windows laptop and tries to log in at a remote location,
it will fail. They have to log in onsite first to get their credentials
cached, and then they will be able to log in remotely.  Setting up
something like this in Debian would be great.  Any ideas?

I've never done this myself, but I think via sssd it's possible to cache
credentials from the AD in some fashion, so after one successful login
on-site, future logins off-site can be validated against a cached
credential, until some expiry time when one would need to refresh the
cache by logging in on-site again.

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland