On Fri, 09 Nov 2018 13:10:38 +0100
floris <jkflo...@dds.nl> wrote:

> Gregory Sharp schreef op 2018-11-08 19:01:
> >
> > Questions:
> >
> > 1) Why should xorg be uninstalled when nvidia-driver is installed?
> >
> > 2) What might be a recommended upgrade path for me?
>
>  From bug 903770 [1]:
>
> ... the nvidia packages in stretch-backports now require mesa+libglvnd
> from stretch-backports.
>
> You could try to install mesa, libglvnd and xorg from backports first.
>

> [1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=903770

Aha.  That explains it.  Thank you much for the link.

I have verified that (1) removing backports from the list of
repositories allows upgrading stable, and (2) a dist-upgrade of nvidia-driver
from stable to stretch-backports installs mesa, etc., which allows upgrade
without removing important packages.

Greg