On Sunday 07 December 2003 02:46, king kong wrote:
[ .. ]
> Oh, and don't get me go into the installer. It just
> plain
> sucks (Yeah, shoot me, I said it!). For god sake, we
> are almost passed half of the first decaded of the 21
> century, and we still can't have a good installer that
> recognizes the hardware properly. For my server, I
> didn't dare to buy any new hardware, only those that
> are at least 2 years old, and it still can't get it.
> E.g.
> DLink DFE-530TX, PT-Link cards, and some old
> ATI cards. I can pop Knoppix and Mepis in, and they
> just works fine. Same for RH, Mandrake and Suse.
> The package management is cool and fine, but if you
> can't get pass the installation, you can't use it.
Did you ever try the beta-1 of the new installer? Just curious ...
It worked very well for me and detected all the right stuff. Apart from having
to use fdisk I believe almost everybody will be able to install Linux with
it.
And regarding the fdisk thing. I am not sure, but I believe to remember that
there might have been an option to let the installer do the partitioning.

[..]
> Actually, we are evaluating
> the
> distros for a client with a 50-server installation in
> data center. They gave the hardware specs, and I'm
> really concerned about the debian installation
> process.
That's very interesting. Especially for installing 50 systems with a common
set of software it is debian coming to my mind, not any other distribution.

Cheers,
Mariani