If using Uefi installs you only need to have a vfat formated first
partition with a folder called efi and the appropriate efi
binary/substructure. You can use the rest of the disk as you like.

BIOS installers on the same can be achieved with syslinux in addition to
uefi. However I find that just having uefi seems to go better these days
(at least if installing onto recent hardware). Due to varying levels of
vendor write as around CSM (compatibility BIOS/system mode) breaking dual
BIOS/eufi media installers.

-Joel