On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 3:52 PM Michael Stone <mst...@debian.org> wrote:

> How did you get the unsigned kernel installed in the first place? It's
> not typically installed, and I don't see any dependencies that would pull
> it in. If it weren't installed there'd be no problem. :)

Good question. I upgrade my sid regularly and don't mess with the kernel: I
installed the metapackage that depends on the latest kernel and leave the
system uprgrade to its convenience.
I have no idea of where this "unsigned" came from. Is it possible that at
some point the metapackage depended on it?

> If you have
> another kernel already installed, boot into that, then replace the
> unsigned kernel with the corresponding kernel that lacks the -unsigned
> suffix.If you don't have another kernel installed, try installing an

older one or (as you suggested) wait for the next one. In theory you
> should be able to just remove the -unsigned and replace it without
> having another kernel available, but it's better to have an alternative
> in case something goes wrong.

Unfortunately no other kernel installed and, unless I go and dig into
snapsot, at the moment in sid no other kernel version number is available.
If I try to install the "signed" version, something unhelty happens because
the same /lib/modules/4.19.0-1-amd64/ is shared by the two.
I'll wait for the next one.

> -unsigned means that the kernel doesn't come with a signature that can
> be used for secure boot. It's part of the build process for the signed
> kernels, is a reproducible build, and may have other special-purpose
> applications, but it is not generally needed.

Clear enough.

Thank you.

a.