On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 1:24 PM Paul Sutton <zl...@disroot.org> wrote:

> On 25/01/2019 19:11, Kent West wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 1:10 PM Kent West <we...@acu.edu
> > <mailto:we...@acu.edu>> wrote:
> >

> >     $ apt update
> >     $ apt dist-upgrade
> >

> > Sorry, that should have been
> >
> > # sudo apt update
> > # sudo apt dist-upgrade
> >
> > or, as root,
> >
> > # apt update
> > # apt dist-upgrade
> >
> > --
> > Kent West                    <")))><
> > Westing Peacefully - http://kentwest.blogspot.com
>

> So in this context what is the differences between upgrade and
> dist-upgrade ? I just used apt upgrade and generally use apt
> dist-upgrade to go between the main Debian releases,  as in 8 -> 9.
>
> Given the apt bug does dist-upgrade do something else.?

If the vulnerability to which you refer is the "lateral movement" bug, it's
been around quite a while (2009?), but only recently discovered. It's also
been fixed (to my understanding) as of apt 1.4.9, which you say you have.

So the dist-upgrade does not do anything else "given the apt bug".

The basic difference between upgrade and dist-upgrade is that upgrade
doesn't remove existing or pull in not-installed stuff, whereas
dist-upgrade might. The former is good when you need a box to undergo
minimal change; the latter is good when you just want things to "work". The
former is probably more suitable for servers, the latter for end-user
computers.

I usually do "dist-upgrade" out of habit (as I spend most of my time on
end-user computers); but "upgrade" might be, at least theoretically, safer.

--
Kent West                    <")))><