On 26.01.2019 2:28, Celejar wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 01:09:59 +0500
> "Alexander V. Makartsev" <avbe...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> If you value your data, my recommendation is to get inexpensive NAS with
>> iSCSI, like Synology DS218j and run two disks in RAID1 for redundancy.
>> This decision has many advantages, like:
>> 1. You still will have your data even in case one drive fails or gets
>> multiple bad blocks, so that 60Gb Virtual HD image will not turn out to
>> be a punch card when you will try to use it as a backup.
> RAID is for uptime, availability, performance - not ensuring the safety
> of valuable data.
>
> https://www.raidisnotabackup.com/
>
> Backing up properly is the only way to safeguard valuable data. With
> proper backups, your data will be safe with or without RAID. Without
> proper backups, your data will not be safe with or without RAID.
>
> Celejar

Well, James asked for advice on USB disk drive that will be used as
storage for backups.
It may seem like overkill, but I would prefer to be sure that my backups
are safe and consistent, because there are many ways things could go wrong.

Speaking of RAID in general, I can see usefulness of URL you provided,
but only as a guide to fight with "I have RAID, it works, so I can
forget about it" kind of mentality of inexperienced people.
Yes, backup is important, but it is also important to be sure that your
backup will not fail you when you will need it the most, so using RAID
with proper monitoring and servicing procedures is always better than
just one drive.

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀