<to...@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 07, 2019 at 06:06:01AM -0500, songbird wrote:

>>   i used to be able to compile my program=20
>> using Debian testing/unstable by setting the -m32
>> in CFLAGS and regenerating my environment.
>>=20
>>   now i'm picking up a warning from the auto stuff=20
>> like:
>>=20
>> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>> checking sys/ioctl.h usability... no
>> checking sys/ioctl.h presence... yes
>> configure: WARNING: sys/ioctl.h: present but cannot be compiled
>> configure: WARNING: sys/ioctl.h:     check for missing prerequisite heade=
> rs?
>> configure: WARNING: sys/ioctl.h: see the Autoconf documentation
>> configure: WARNING: sys/ioctl.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compi=
> led"
>> configure: WARNING: sys/ioctl.h: proceeding with the compiler's result
>> configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------ ##
>> configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to blahblahblah    ##
>> configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------ ##
>> checking for sys/ioctl.h... no
>> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>
> It could be that your sys/ioctl.h is the 64 bit one. Some questions:
>
>   - you're on Debian, are you?

  yes (see above :) ) .

>   - what is the exact path to sys/ioctl.h?
>   - have you enabled multiarch?
>
> That said, cross building isn't that hard these days (and Debian
> rocks at that). Some -dev packages aren't (yet) multi-arch capable,
> so in those cases you'll have to bite the bullet anyway.
>
> (Yes, in your case above, sys/ioctl.h is (I guess) in linux-libc-dev,
> which is multi-arch capable).

  i did end up doing that.

  i used the debian multiarch wiki web page:
https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/HOWTO

  the program compiles and runs so at least i know
it will work.

  for a once or twice a year compile/run test this is
ok, but i'll probably purge all this extra stuff in
between tests because i don't need these packages
around otherwise...

  thanks, :)

  songbird