Oh, I should have mentioned that the switches I use are 10/100 megabit, not
gigabit.

(I'm not sure, but the switch built into my Edge Router might be Gigabit, but
that device was closer to $50 (on sale, I'm fairly sure, although I bought it
at a time when I was having problems with my LAN, so may have paid closer to
list price).)