On 2019-04-11 17:16, mick crane wrote:
On 2019-04-11 17:05, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 05:02:46PM +0100, mick crane wrote:
I think that is what dynamic ip address services do, change the ipaddress
but the service has to be on the ISP's router ?
Do I understand correctly then when your isp/home address changes your box
broadcasts its domain new address to the internet ?

It doesn't have to be on the router.  You can set up a hook in Debian
to run an arbitrary command whenever your IP address is changed by DHCP. This hook receives the old and new IP addresses, and some other things, as environment variables. It's about 3 lines of code to set it up. No
parsing of the output of any ip or ifconfig command is needed.

https://mywiki.wooledge.org/IpAddress

I'll have a read but there must be something I don't understand.
Thought there was a hierarchy of domain names mapped to ipaddresses
that all the different servers can query as to where something is.

Ok I think I see, you can host your own domain if you have a fixed ipaddress but if have ipaddress that changes need to register domain name and have company host it and advertise they know where it is but can change the nameservers for the domain from theirs to yours at changed ipaddress.
You can't willy nilly broadcast any domain to the internet yourself.

mick

--
Key ID    4BFEBB31