On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 07:02 Tom Browder <tom.brow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm preparing to install Win 10 and Deb 9 on a new ZaReason laptop which has
> no installed OS on it.

Again, thanks to all who offered help.

I have my new Zareason laptop up and running!  Basic specs:

UltraLap 6440 i7
Processor: i7-8550U
8 GB DDR4-2133
Video Card: Intel UHD 620 (included)
M.2 SSD:
120GB M.2 SSD (included)
2.5: empty

I added a second SSD: Samsung EVO 860 1 Tb (the case was easy to open,
and it was easy to install the SSD). The system comes with a DVD which
has some drivers and user manuals.  I printed the first 28 pages of
the condensed user manual for easy reference. I used an external ASUS
USB DVD for the installations.

I installed Win 10 first on the 120 Gb SS drive that came with the
laptop.  I had some trouble deciding which of the hardware-provided
drivers were necessary, but finally, after several aborted,
trial-and-error attempts, I had success with just installing the LAN
driver so the hard-wired internet would work.  It then took several
hours to get Win 10 fully up-to-date.  I let Windows have about 50 Gb
and I have about 70 Gb unallocated of the 120 Gb at the moment.

I had no luck installing Deb 9, but Deb 10 Buster installed fine (with
the MATE desktop) using the rc1 #1 DVD and a hard-wired internet
connection.

I chose to use guided partitioning with the entire 1 Tb second SSD for Debian.

After installation I had to adjust the /etc/apt sources for Buster,
and then had to install package firmware-iwlwlan for the WLAN. After a
reboot, all my wireless networks were accessible.

The characters on the default screen display, 1920x1080, were too tiny
for my old eyes, but all looks great after I downsized the display to
1440x820.

So far I am happy with the new Zareason laptop. Nate, at their support
email address, has been responsive and answered all my questions. The
only complaint I have is the lack of an LED to show caps lock, but
others had noted that and I knew it before I bought the laptop.  The
laptop is over two pounds lighter than my old one, and it is a joy to
keep near my easy chair to use casually in my lap if I have a moment
to do some light hacking while watching TV.

Regarding Buster: I've noticed some slight delays while using the
touchpad, but I hope that will get a dev's attention before the real
release.  However, the nice thing is I can turn the touchpad off in
the settings if I want to use a mouse.

There is a Fn+F1 key combo that is supposed to toggle the touchpad but
it doesn't work for me on Debian. Maybe there is a way to get that to
work with some config under the Deb hood.

Best regards,

-Tom