On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 05:33:46PM +0100, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 13:58:15 +0000,
> Colin Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 04:58:26PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > > On a more practical note:  copyright would pass to the estate and
> > > heirs. It's possible (not necessarially easy) to get assignments in
> > > this case.
> >
> > Yeah. The thought has occurred to me, but it seems rather tasteless to
> > go and ask. In practice my assessment is that it's vanishingly
> > unlikely to become an actual problem (and if it does, I'll just remove
> > all copyrightable pieces of code he wrote), so again I've gone for the
> > easy road.
>
> ..I disagree: It _is_ appropriate to approach the heirs and ask,
> informing them of the 2 alternatives, removal of his code (just
> like we're gonna do with any SCO code), and the heirs giving
> their permission to let the dead man's code work survive under
> the GPL and copyright law.  Chances are very good they will
> consider what he would have wanted them to do.
>
> .._not_ asking, I find _less_ appropriate, because chances are,
> the heirs may feel we take liberties with _their_ copyright.

Eh? The code is GPL. The person in question was perfectly aware of this
and licensed his code the same way. *No* liberties are being taken! The
discussion with Karsten is about the problem of getting copyright
assignments to the FSF for the purpose of making it a GNU project, which
is purely hypothetical; it's something I have no intention of actually
doing.

Please read the thread a little more carefully.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]