For a change, I want to proceed with a tad of caution
rather than follow Don't RTFM - Wing That Sucker.

I have an old Jessie running:

Linux debian.localdomain 3.16.0-7-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.59-1 (2018-10-03)
x86_64 GNU/Linux

...and it has been borne in on me that my kernel needs to
be retired. This old Jessie dates back to the Bad Old Days
of the systemd wars and has no systemd onboard. I am of a
mood though to take a Great Leap Forward and install
Stretch -- systemd 'n all.

My untutored instinct is to go through my apt sources.list
and replace every instance of 'jessie' with 'stretch,' and
leave the rest up to apt-get, but I thought YOU SHOULD ASK
ON THE LIST FIRST BOB.

Full disclosure: I have not kept up. Are there resources,
wikis, etc, dedicated to Upgrading Debian For Dummies?

All input will be graciously accepted.

Thank you

--
"In our age there is no such thing as ‘keeping out of
politics’. All issues are political issues, and politics

 George Orwell "Politics and the English Language" (1946)