On Thu, Jun 13, 2019, 12:11 PM Joe <j...@jretrading.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 17:28:10 +0200
> Hans <hans.ullr...@loop.de> wrote:
>
> > Am Donnerstag, 13. Juni 2019, 16:29:27 CEST schrieb k. jantzen:
> > Did you try "Evince" or "Okular"?

I like evince.

> > > in general I do not have a problem reading a pdf file with either
> > > xpdf or documentviewer.
> > >
> > > But once in a while I get a pdf file that they cannot read and then
> > > I have to go to Windows to open it.
> > >
> > > What is so spectacular about these files that they cannot be read
> > > by the above mentioned programs? Is there another program that
> > > would read such a file?
> > >

> Not all PDF generation programs produce good code. Some PDF readers are
> better than others at displaying technically invalid PDFs. I've had
> some trouble viewing PDFs exported by LibreCAD in Evince, and a few
> other funnies that I can't remember now.
>
> Adobe Reader does seem a bit better at dealing with dodgy files, and of
> course it deals with the extended PDFs e.g. editable forms.

On one of my Ubuntu Systems, I bit the bullet and installed Adobe's Reader
but, after seeing how Adobe wanted to take charge of my pdf files, and not
be "nice" about CPU and Memory usage, I stopped using it, but left it, as a
Resource for "dodgy pdf files".

I never tried to install it under Debian, and noticed another response,
about it, perhaps not being kept up to date?

Kenneth Parker