On Tue, Jul 02, 2019 at 03:10:06PM -0700, pe...@easthope.ca wrote:
> dalton has dnsmasq.  From distant recollection, name resolution failed when
> the system was running and dnsmasq was not.  That motivated direct reference
> to IP addresses.  To the best of my knowledge, an IP address should suffice
> identify a server or possibly a cluster of them.

An entry in /etc/hosts would probably be a better choice.  In the case
of HTTP requests, the hostname needs to be sent inside the request to
identify the correct virtual host.

(Now, maybe that particular mirror isn't on a virtual host, but in
general, most HTTP requests *should* be treated as virtual hosts.  Using a
raw IP address in the URL typically won't get you the right result.)